... and you are one of them!

Games at Miniclip.com - Penguin Rush Penguin Rush

Race your penguin down the slopes to the finish line!

Play this free game now!!

Thursday, December 18, 2008

From books to movies...of words and adaptations...

History has seen that quite a number of books (and in some cases, comics) out there that had been adapted into movies. The books may not necessarily need to be extremely popular for the movies to sell well at the box office. Likewise, best-seller books may not be well adapted into movies and the movies may flop.


Take Stephen King's books for example. With the exception of Christine and
The Mist which received rave reviews and were quite well-accepted by moviegoers, other movies adapted from his books tanked!

I remember reading Phantoms by Dean Koontz many years ago. It was one of the scariest books I've ever read. Every page of the book was so vividly horrifying. Unfortunately, the movie, despite having big actors in it, failed to attract people to flock the cinemas.

I once had a dream to write a book. A book that I hoped, could open doors to other possibilities, and one of them was which to have it adapted into a movie (or a series of movies). The book already had a title; each characters named and their characteristics visualised; the draft was ready up to Chapter 7 (if not mistaken).... in fact for some chapters, they were almost complete.

Three friends read the draft. A couple of them had even showed their willingness to be a part of it. One was willing to be my editor, while another, a talented artist, drew some sketches so that we could later pick one to be the book cover. He also drew some of the monsters (see below) to be inserted into the pages of the book - plus he also loves to draw, so pretty much, he just wanted to (draw them).




Then reality hit me. I am not that great (in writing). I may have received comments before about how my simple style of English writing can still somehow grasp their attention. But, is it enough that based on these comments alone made by only a few people, I can expect (other) readers to be hooked by maintaining the same style throughout the book? Surely readers would want something out of the ordinary and simplicities, and expect me to get out of my comfort zone of writing.

The book project got postponed indefinitely, for so many years now. It never left my mind completely though, at least not yet. Hmm... maybe I should write it in Bahasa Malaysia (BM) first, although again, I'm not an excellent BM writer either. Or perhaps I should find myself a ghost writer or a co-writer. Or perhaps publish a graphic novel instead, a collaboration with my artistic friend there. Hmm... I don't really know.

This whole thing about getting my book out came back to my mind after reading an article, about how easy it is for a 9-year-old boy, Alex Greven, who initially wrote his book and self-published it at a school book fair, became almost instantly famous. Not only his 48-page advice book, "How to Talk to Girls" became a best-seller, it has also been optioned by Fox for a possible theatrical release. The film rights to him were sold for low-to-mid six figures. How lucky of him huh?

Reading the article made me think about the path I have threaded my way through all this while, and the future paths that I should take (and plan to take). We Muslims are always encouraged to appreciate the 5 things before the 5 things arrive. One of them was 'while we are still free before we are busy' and another one, 'while we are still alive before we are dead'.

More often than not, we are so busy with worldly matters, we forget about the world that follows. Then, we may say we are very busy, but usually busy for other people. In a recent Oprah Winfrey show, she said 84% of people hate their jobs. So, if we are too busy with jobs that we hate (or maybe not particularly fond of), isn't it time, we make it count? Isn't it time we become busy FOR ourselves for a change? ...sigh...

Meantime, talk about adaptation from comics, you can view the trailer of the coming Wolverine movie here.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

7 Comments:

At Thursday, 18 December, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I sense exasperation coming out of u mate! Take it easy..

 
At Saturday, 20 December, 2008, Blogger The Pisces Man said...

Hi anon,

exasperated doesn't quite describe it...:))

 
At Monday, 22 December, 2008, Blogger ManaL said...

John Lennon's famous quote: Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans....

Some writers are a one-hit wonder too. Maybe one day u can be lucky, who knows.

 
At Tuesday, 23 December, 2008, Blogger The Pisces Man said...

Spot on Manal (on the quote)...

Aaamiinnnn.. I'll take that as a prayer from you my friend. Yeah, guess for some, they just wanna go in, make money (and at the same time become famous for a while) then get out huh! :))

 
At Friday, 02 January, 2009, Blogger Mel Ija said...

I think you should just try to write that book. I have always wanted to write myself, a fiction, but I haven't had the time to really do that.. hhmm.. maybe I should, eh? Tell you what, let's write a book together. I mean, we inspire and encourage each other to write. How's that? You can write whatever you want to write, whereas I'll write whatever that I want to write. Then we'll teach each other on how to go about and publish it. At least you already have graphics in it, those pics your friend drew are really cool. I like them. He/she is very talented.

I know about that book, "How To Talk To Girls'. Cool ain't it? If that kid can do it, we can too..

 
At Saturday, 03 January, 2009, Blogger The Pisces Man said...

You know what? Why not? Why not you too...?

Yeah, he's a great and a talented friend. He's quite popular not only here, but also among people who share his interests around the world too, at least in the internet world. He's also a friend to one of the key persons in making the LOTR movies, hence the reason why my enthusiasm was so pumped up back then, thinking that could Peter Jackson be interested in turning my story into movies? Hahaha, silly me.

I'll keep in touch with u personally on our 2009 resolution(?). We shall hold each other accountable. How about that?

 
At Thursday, 08 January, 2009, Blogger Mel Ija said...

Hold each other accountable, eh? Hhmm... :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home