... and you are one of them!

Games at Miniclip.com - Penguin Rush Penguin Rush

Race your penguin down the slopes to the finish line!

Play this free game now!!

Thursday, June 22, 2006

The Maid

First of all, no, this is not about some horror movie that I'm going to review. The title may imply that it's a horror movie right? ;)

Actually, it's about what the title says - the maid to my sister. Late last month, an incident happened between my first niece and my sister's Indonesian maid. This had sparked my sister to further inquire from her neighbours, about the maid's behaviours towards her (cutie adorable) kids, especially behind her back, during working hours. Unfortunately and shockingly, she received many unwelcomed news...

My sis and bro-in-law then decided to send her back to Indonesia earlier this month, despite initially planning to extend her stay for another year (her visa expires this year). The 'unwelcomed news' came as a shock to us too, since the maid had been very nice and friendly in front of us all, to the extent of calling my mum 'mak'.

Gasp! when me & my wife have kids - which option should we choose? 1. hire an Indonesian/foreign maid, or 2. send kids to a nursery, or 3. wife resigns and becomes a full-time mother/housewife?

Option 3 may be the best, though we may have to first examine how the family's economy can sustain itself with me as the sole breadwinner, especially living in this hustling and bustling city of KL, where almost everything is more expensive and the cost of living is not cheap. Option 2 may give us unflexible time since the nursery may have its own opening hours (we'd have to leave work at specific time everyday then). Further, our babies may be easily exposed to sickness from germs spread by other kids in the nursery.

Option 1 is the most common chosen option. But due to the government's regulation of requiring Indonesian/foreign maids to be sent back to their countries after 2 years (unless their visas are extended), we may get headaches of getting a new maid every 2 years; like how the new ones would perform, would she endanger our kid(s) in any way when we are not home, or worse, would she steal from us and run away or bring unwanted guests (like their boyfriends) to our house (such cases have happened before). Option 1 may be the best of all, ONLY if ONE very good maid can work for us for many years to come.

I have a relative whose maid has worked for them for about 20 years now. NOW THAT'S WHAT I CALL AN IDEAL CASE....

2 Comments:

At Friday, 23 June, 2006, Blogger ManaL said...

Solat istikharah la man...do that a few times plus solat hajat as well. Option 3 tu agak la common among men. Not unless the wife can do work at home too like practising MLM, home tuition to schoolkids primary or secondary, upah menjahit, jual kek and kuih, or if she's IT savvy, can venture into e-business. Amik bibik nih mmg risky business but it is riskier when it comes to looking after our own property and kids. But it also to do with how we educate and train her as well. Also, dont give muka sgt kat diorg. U can be nice and all but u must be strict to her as well. That'll remind her whats her purpose of working there again. Nasib baik, dpt la yg dah experienced and amanah. Ape2 pon, dont give up. Your kids life are more important than money put together. Rezeki boleh dicari, hidup sekali sahaja. Just my humble 2 sen advice.

 
At Friday, 23 June, 2006, Blogger Mel Ija said...

I have the same dilemma. I send my baby to my aunt's place and feel very secure and happy about leaving her there. But if I have additional babies in the future, I can't very well send them to her (my aunt). Kesian dia. Plus, it'll be tiring for me as well. So, I am resorting to a maid. Luckily my mom's current maid wants to work for me after her contract expires. And my mom has already given her consent for her maid to work for me. And since the maid seems SO nice, I am thinking of taking her in. So far, so good. But tulah, you never know kan. I only pray for the best. Tak tenteram hati if we leave our babies to complete stragers. If kat nursery pulak, pengsan nak bayar every month especially if you have more than one.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home