... and you are one of them!

Games at Miniclip.com - Penguin Rush Penguin Rush

Race your penguin down the slopes to the finish line!

Play this free game now!!

Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Days unlike any other….

It was Saturday, 31 March 2007, and 12 Rabiul Awal 1428H (based on the Islamic calendar). It was a Maulidur Rasul day - the Prophet Muhammad pbuh’s Birthday (peace upon him).

My mother-in-law had been staying with us for the past few days, for the preparation in case my wife delivered. That day, we were ‘confined’ in the house. Nothing to do with my wife (the confinement) but the contractor who had been hired to fix our kitchen cabinet finally came after two weekends of postponement. So, that day was loud, with sounds of drilling and knocking echoed in the house. Probably, it was loud enough to ‘awaken’ our baby in his mother’s tummy and made him want to come out. Here, the story unfolded….

In conjunction with the Maulidur Rasul, some events had been organized by the condo’s surau committee starting from after the Zohor prayer till about 9pm. When the kitchen contractor finished the job, it was already late in the evening. After cleaning up the kitchen, I was getting myself ready for the Maghrib prayer and planned to attend the ceramah at the surau afterwards.

I noticed my wife had spent quite some time in the toilet. She then revealed that some signs that she was going to deliver soon were already happening. I wanted to cancel my (ceramah) plan and preferred to wait with her (for further signs) or brought her to the hospital instead. But she insisted that I carried on going to the surau, since the signs were still small and considering that her mother could accompany her in the house and let me know should the signs got stronger.

After the ceramah and having dinner with the rest of the jemaah, my wife called, saying that her water just broke. Off I went, with a speed of a man running in his slippers and after waiting for a few minutes for the elevator to take me up to my house; I quickly got everyone and everything ready and drove off to the UKM Hospital, which was about 5 minutes’ away (by driving).

It was already 4cm when the doctor checked on her. My wife needed to be sent to the labour room immediately. Since only a family member is allowed to be with her in the labour room, I sent my mother-in-law home.

Back at the hospital, here were some of the thoughts that crossed my mind as events unfolded (not all are disclosed here of course):

Her contractions grew stronger and more frequent. I sat by her bed and to her right, asking her to squeeze my fingers and hands everytime the pains came. As often as possible, I kept watch in case her drips ran out and looking to the monitor that displayed the baby’s heartbeat rate and the intensity of her contractions.

During one of the nurse’s visits, we were told that they would check on her cervix dilatation again at 3am, more than an hour to go. The nurse may have left after that, but my wife’s contractions remained and got worse. Words were exchanged between me and my wife, including some heart-wrenching ones.

It was close to 3am. As her pains somewhat dwindled, she told me it was ok to sleep for a while. I then leaned back on the chair and had the wall as my pillow (hopefully you can imagine my sleeping position here). About 15 minutes later, I was startled from sleep when the nurse entered with a houseman. After checking on her, the houseman told us, it was still 4cm. With all four of us in the room, I found it to be a bit crampy, so I decided to step out for a while and then sat on a couch.

The couch hadn’t even received the slightest heat from my body, when the nurse suddenly rushed back to get me. I got up and followed closely behind the nurse. The minute I entered the room, my wife told me that now, it was already 9cm.

I thought, ‘What? Didn’t the houseman just tell us it was still 4cm? Gulp, this is the moment right, Ayang?’

4:30amme and wife were becoming very much concerned when the baby’s heartbeat rate grew slower. I decided to call a doctor. Soon, the room was full with two MOs, a houseman (a different one) and a nurse. I told myself, 'No matter how full-house the room can get, I ain’t leaving her this time, that’s for sure!'

Everyone told her to push. The baby’s head and hair was already visible, but somehow, the baby was pulled back inside. ‘Push Ayang, push… you call that push? Push harder!!!’ were the things I said in my head as my eyes kept exchanging looks between the monitor and my wife.

Since the heart rate had drastically slowed down, the MOs agreed to use the vacuum aspiration to avoid any prolonged episode of hypoxia (lack of oxygen). ‘What? Oh no, not the vacuum!!!’

As the MO used the vacuum, my wife kept pushing harder than before. After a long hard push, the miracle of God was granted and the baby was born. It turned out that the umbilical cord had encircled our baby’s neck and caused the baby to be pulled back inside after every push. It was a baby boy and he was rather bluish in colour. Obviously, he was lacking oxygen. Then, the nurses ‘shoved down’ some tubes into our baby’s throat to remove fluids from his lung, so that he could breathe in more easily and freely. Only after a few seconds, the baby started to cry.

I managed to remain calm throughout the whole ordeal, but seeing the baby in bluish colour and watching that ‘giant’ tube went into our baby’s tiny mouth and throat, got me slumped onto my chair. I put my hand across my fore-head and breathed out a sigh of relief after hearing his cries. His first cries!

During the third stage of labour, I just had to go out and get some air……

Our baby boy, Muhammad Ikhwan Rasydan was officially born at 5:23am on Sunday, 01 April 2007, a day after the Prophet Muhammad pbuh’s Birthday (which also happened to be my sister’s wedding anniversary - but there is NOOOOO way I’m associating my son’s birthday with April Fool’s day).

Tuesday 03 April 2007 - a day after wife and baby had been discharged from the hospital and a day after having a little practice on taking care of the baby, my parents-in-law brought them both back hometown, to stay there throughout the confinement period. I couldn’t come along as I had to work tomorrow, but I’d be going back every weekend, Insha’ Allah. Heck! I’m already starting counting the days before this coming weekend - first weekend with my wife and our cute baby. A few days sure feel like eternity when you eagerly wait for the time to come….

'Huhuhu, uwwaaaaaaa, uwwwaaaaa…… I’m here all by myself while my son is…huhuhu, uwwaaaaaaa, uwwwaaaaa with my wife over there… sob, sob….'

P/S: To those who have never seen but have the guts to watch your (future) wives giving births, I strongly recommend you to. You WILL appreciate women more, especially your wives and mothers of course, after witnessing all the hardships that they have to go through to bring lives into this world.

Labels: , ,

25 Comments:

At Wednesday, 04 April, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Alhamdulillah...here comes Firdaus's friend :D COngratulations to you! Didn't I say having kids is a wonderful thing? From now onwards, life will never be the same. One thing for certain - your baby will be the centre of it! My kisses to that cute bundle of joy.

 
At Wednesday, 04 April, 2007, Blogger ManaL said...

Finally....all these time we had to endure reading ur encounter of the baby growth and now it is out into this world. Alhamdulillah, it looks healthy and fine.

Congratulations to u (once again, sbb tadi dah cakap dalam email) on receiving ur 1st born. Get ready to do those aqiqah, cukur rambut and stuff soon.

ps: why la typical names u malay people aa? ikot season nak pilih nama. That name sama mcm anak zaki yamani, mohd ikhwan firdaus.

 
At Wednesday, 04 April, 2007, Blogger Hazyr said...

Congratulation!!

You takleh ambik paternity leave ke?

ohh.. that reminds me.. I think Paus smsed at 5am this morning to inform the delivery of his baby girl.. mamai masa tu to absorb the info. I'd better call him now!

 
At Wednesday, 04 April, 2007, Blogger Red Mummy said...

alhamdulillah!!!

hey abdun, yr first son is born, and today u are still working??? how come? paternity leave bape ari? x pun amik je lah cuti seminggu.

it s not coz u need the baby or yr wife but yr wife need you, remember, yr wife is in confinement, husband needs to be wt her takut kang dia meroyan. serious ni akak cakap.

but syukur, akak ni ari2 tunggu bila le budak ni nak habak bini nak banak, tu lah kedekut sgt nak tepon sms akak kan...

rezeki rezeki...

so ayah ke papa ni?

siap lah pasni penuhlah blog ni ngan gambo baby dia!!

korang nak bet?

 
At Wednesday, 04 April, 2007, Blogger Mel Ija said...

Congratulations..!!

It was kind of shocking to read that the chord was around your baby's neck. That must have scared you. Yerlah, tak dengar the baby cried, and when he came out, he looked all bluey and everything.

Thank goodness he's alright now.

Well, just to share with you, after my delivery (first baby), I went home to my parents in Seremban for the confinement. When my husband had to leave me, I was emotionally upset. I had wanted him to be around but because he was working, he couldn't be there. He tried to commute from Seremban-KL, which he did, but during the days that he was tired, he didn't go back to Seremban. He only got home on the weekends. I don't know why, but for some reason, I was sad. But I understand that KL and Johor (Johor, right?) is very far. So banyaklah bersabar, ok. But yeah, you're going to feel the week to be very long... :)

Congrats again..!! And yeah, I have a feeling that there'll be a lot of baby pictures posted soon at this blog. :)

 
At Wednesday, 04 April, 2007, Blogger The Pisces Man said...

Hi Anonymous... tq for the kisses! Sure, Ikhwan and Firdaus can play together2x...

 
At Wednesday, 04 April, 2007, Blogger The Pisces Man said...

Manal, thanks for the best wishes. But what do ya mean by saying why la typical names u malay people aa? Surely, cannot name him Mike or Steven right... haha..

Ikot season nak pilih nama and sama mcm anak zaki yamani? I pun tak tau nama anak dia lerrr. Coincidence aja nih.

Actually, what we did was we listed down all the boy and girl names that we liked. Then one night, I combined various two names together (we had set our minds to have the first one as Muhammad). When I said Ikhwan Rasydan, she kinda' liked it a lot, and so did I. So, that was the story laa.. In fact, we came out with 4 names alreadi with no similarities between one name and another - two boy names and two girl names. Hopefully we can use them all ler when the time comes..

 
At Wednesday, 04 April, 2007, Blogger The Pisces Man said...

Thank you Ryzah and in case you haven't sms'ed Paus, say my congratulations to him too...

To Ryzah and Kak Red, company I kerja ni kemut and calculative sikit, or perhaps they don't really value the roles of fathers in families.

Annual leave (AL) ada la dalam a few belasan hari. Last Monday and Tuesday off pun dah ditolak dari AL. Mana nak spare in case kena ambik emergency leaves lagi, cuti Raya lagi etc etc..

Memang la sedih teramat tengok anak isteri balik kampung. Kalau bole, nak aja ambik unpaid leave for a month. But no unpaid leaves are allowed by the company either.

So, all I can do is to make the best of it by REALLY being there for them (wife and baby), everytime I go back hometown!

Hopefully, after confinement period, can play bigger roles ler..

 
At Wednesday, 04 April, 2007, Blogger The Pisces Man said...

Ija - seeing the umbilical cord around his neck really scared both me and wife, though the doctors may remained calm about it.

They are in Muar. Though close to Malacca (luckily) but still, bukan la bule suka2x aja pergi jumpa dia orang kan?

Wife told me she was really sad too, especially with so many families and relatives welcomed them home, but without me by her side.

 
At Wednesday, 04 April, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats! such a cute baby boy... semoga menjadi anak yg soleh.

 
At Wednesday, 04 April, 2007, Blogger The Pisces Man said...

Yes, Kak Red, I'm aware my wife needs me tapi company tak provide paternity leaves laa...Tapi yang pelik tuh, grandmaternity leaves ada plak? (joking)..Tu yang kena budget ambik annual leaves yg dah memang sikit to start off tuuu..

Eden mana la tau phone no Kak Red.. Ada tulih dalam your blog eh?

Kalau panggil Daddy, bule tak? :o Wife nak dipanggil Ibu, tapi I nak my children call me Papa. Weird combination huh? Saja jer..

I pun suspect blog ni akan penuh ngan gambo dia. My wife pun kata, sekarang dah ada orang baru untuk diambil gambo so takyah ambik gambo dia lagi lah. I may have shown only a few of her photos in this blog, but actually I have tonnes of them. Sampai dia pun naik rimas kena tangkap candid or dipaksa bergambo (considering she doesn't like to take pictures). Hehe..

 
At Wednesday, 04 April, 2007, Blogger The Pisces Man said...

Eh, ni Cuya, Cuya tu ke? Thanx for the wishes and visiting..

 
At Wednesday, 04 April, 2007, Blogger ManaL said...

tumpang lalu, abun,

Ryzah, paus kawen saper? ever since he and manis broke up their engagement, paus terus kawen org lain la?

Cuya, nice to know dah ade 2 kids with mummy's chinese looks and daddy's sawo matang skin.

 
At Thursday, 05 April, 2007, Blogger Red Mummy said...

koo

panjang lebar mukadimah!

anw kan...file under my children katanya tu!

baru kuor sorang dah ada labels 'my children'

bini ko mana...dia tau tak my children ni? hahahahhaha bini lom seminggu tu abdun oiii

 
At Thursday, 05 April, 2007, Blogger zura said...

Manal, my son's name is Ikhwan Firdaus je. And what a different story u told us in the email, Imran's baby's name is not even muhammad faris as you told us and he was not born in SJMC. Ko confuse dgn baby sapa lak ni manal.

Imran, a heartiest congratulations from both of us. Biasalah tu ulang-alik. Just like my husband, for all the three children we have.

 
At Thursday, 05 April, 2007, Blogger zura said...

I'm so sorry. I guess I spot the wrong person. I thought this is Imran's blog. He just had a baby too...

 
At Thursday, 05 April, 2007, Blogger The Pisces Man said...

Zura, u r Zaki's wife kan? I dah beritau dia, our sons ada similarity on one name jer. Tapi biasaklah tuh, tul tak Manal?

Ramai jugak orang yang sama SATU nama like Ahmad, Suffian, Tahir, Fiona, Nora, Siti, Ah Seng, Gopal, Robert etc etc.. Hehehe..

 
At Thursday, 05 April, 2007, Blogger Mr Incognito said...

congrats! more fathering and less blogging after this? we'll understand.

 
At Thursday, 05 April, 2007, Blogger Hazyr said...

you've been tagged! :)

Read my blog for more info ok.

p/s This is to keep you occupied while waiting for another weekend for you to go back to your beloved wife and baby!

 
At Friday, 06 April, 2007, Blogger The Pisces Man said...

Mr. Incognito, thank you for the wish. Probably while my wife is still confined in Muar, I would still blogging as much. Even when they are back here in KL, hopefully the frequency of writing in this blog won't drop dramatically. I'm sure I have many stories and things to tell..

Ryzah, so you've tagged me to keep me occupied huh? Thank you, I need that! :o

 
At Friday, 06 April, 2007, Blogger The Pisces Man said...

Kak Red ni, mcm tak biasa plak.. Saja nak melepaskan perasaan terbuku. Bila dah lepas tu, selalunya cool sikit. Actually, not just unpaid leaves yang company tak provide, time off pun akan ditolak. Ok lah, like I said, saja nak melepaskan perasaan aja nih, nothing else..

Anyway, you pun tahu I kalau berceloteh dlm blog memang panjang melebar..

Biasaklah label My Children - pandang ke depan, ahak ahak..

Eh, mana fone no. ni? Tak pun email kat i jer lah, mana tau ada nak jemput menjemput ker.. hehe.

Rasa mcm nak masuk Blogger KickStart tuh, tapi klu suka celoteh, buleh masuk ker? (dlm tulisan aja i cakap banyak, but I'm actually quiet in person, chewah..)

 
At Friday, 06 April, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats to Abun & wife. Praying for more to come :).

 
At Friday, 06 April, 2007, Blogger The Pisces Man said...

Hi Linda, thanx a lot... and thanx for praying for more to come.. ahak ahak! You dah ada more?

 
At Friday, 06 April, 2007, Blogger Unknown said...

congratulations...he'll bring joy and laughter into your life...that's for sure...

 
At Friday, 06 April, 2007, Blogger The Pisces Man said...

Greetings raden galoh, and thanx for visiting.

I only managed to get a quick glimpse of your blog and your profile, but time permits me from reading it further. Will check it again next week, after coming back from hometown.

A strong, confident woman who bounced (or is bouncing) back after a dark episode in life is someone whom I'd like to get to know more, at least virtually...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home