... and you are one of them!

Games at Miniclip.com - Penguin Rush Penguin Rush

Race your penguin down the slopes to the finish line!

Play this free game now!!

Saturday, January 13, 2007

Cyber World Part 1 - Ghost in the machine? (updated)

The night started like most other nights. Apart from my brother in law and his friend visiting over, other activities were quite norm. My wife and I reached home quite early that evening, due to us wanting to be home when our guests arrived.

Brother and his friend arrived later than we anticipated. After having some refreshments and chit chatting with them for a while, I then excused myself to use the PC. My wife was in the kitchen, washing the dishes, while brother and his friend watching the TV.

Microsof Word was the first programme I opened. It was a blank new document. I was staring 'blankly'to the screen, not sure of what to write about or how to start. The black cursor, blinking in its timely manner against the programme's empty white background, as though waiting for me to type something, or perhaps, it was actually blinking back at me.

Then I logged into the Internet. I entered the Google's web page, with the intention of searching for something. My mind was still wandering about, somehow still not quite focused with the task at hand.

I heard their guffaw broke from the living room and my wife closing the door of the refrigerator. One leg was slightly shorter than the others, making the fridge rather unstable and wobbled everytime the door was opened and closed.

My attention immediately went back to my PC when suddenly a 'wooing' sound came out from the speakers. The sound was subtle at first but grew louder as it progressed. No doubt it was a howling of a wolf. As my ears caught the eerie sound of the 'wolf', my eyes glanced to the screen. The active windows were still a blank empty document of Word and the front page of Google, with no search term having been entered or typed.

Where did the sound come from? In my mind, a virus must be the culprit, but when I asked the tech expert at the office the next day, he doubted so and claimed of not knowing any computer viruses capable of producing such sounds.

Could it be some supernatural being trying to communicate with me from the underworld (a good job at that huh?) Or it was a gimmick by Google to scare the crap out of their visitors despite it was not a Halloween?

When I shared the experience during our trip back to hometown together, my brother in law believed it was a virus, while my wife thought I was imagining stuffs.

What I heard was true and real, real enough to give me goose bumps. If only it had repeated, I would have asked all others in the house at that time to listen to it. It was not a short 'wooolf'or 'wooolf wooolf' sound. If that was the case, my mind must be playing tricks on me.

But it was a long 'awoooooo awooooooo awoooooooooooo ooooooooo ooooooooo oooooo....' Just like in one of those horror movies, where from deep in the woods or from the top of some mountains, with a bright, yellow full moon to lighten up the night, a wolf or a pack of wolves gave you the chill with their distant cries.

The question remains - is there a Ghost in my machine? I shudder to think..

Labels:

8 Comments:

At Tuesday, 16 January, 2007, Blogger pugly said...

Do you reckon we should call the delectable Winchester boys for this? ;-)

 
At Tuesday, 16 January, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

the wolf looks pretty convincing... ;o

 
At Wednesday, 17 January, 2007, Blogger The Pisces Man said...

Be true to yourself Pugly. I think you prefer Dean Winchester, am I right? I know you have a little thing called crush on him... Haha...

Mr(s)/Miss Broom - thanx for the compliment!

 
At Thursday, 18 January, 2007, Blogger Red Mummy said...

cuba ko baling pc ko kat wall, pastu kalo pecah mahap lah, kalo x pecah ko pasang balik. kalo diam je ok jer, so x de le anto lam pc ko tu.

hik!

sila jgn ikut petua di atas yeah.

 
At Thursday, 18 January, 2007, Blogger ManaL said...

Bagus gak idea kak red tu. Prolly ur pc fan motor going bad. OR it cud be like The Ring, only that it comes out of the pc instead of a telly.

 
At Thursday, 18 January, 2007, Blogger ManaL said...

OK, maybe u need to upgrade ur subWOOFer...then that sound effect would be scarier.

 
At Friday, 19 January, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

aku rasa macam plot cerita nightmare on elm street pulak...hahahahahha

drbubbles

 
At Monday, 22 January, 2007, Blogger The Pisces Man said...

Kak Red, makasih for the petua... :o

Manal.. if it's like The Ring, then I should have recorded the howling and let readers listen to it from this blog. Then, it should be their problems of who to forward the sound to, before 'death' greets them...

Pc fan motor going bad? Hmm.. another interesting theory. Ahaks!

Dr Bubbles, luckily I live at Tasik Permaisuri Road, instead of Elm Street. Haha.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home