... and you are one of them!

Games at Miniclip.com - Penguin Rush Penguin Rush

Race your penguin down the slopes to the finish line!

Play this free game now!!

Wednesday, June 22, 2005

O’ Share

I watched a TV show called Mark O’Shea’s Great Adventure the other day. Mark is a scientist, a TV host and also an adventurer. He travels the whole world in search of (mostly endangered) species, catch them on camera and by hand (or using a safe trap) for research and preservation or just to study their natural habitat and stuffs.

The great thing about this show is that some of the species have never been properly documented and their very existence is also arguable. This is because Mark’s search is based on the encounters of the locals or some ‘ancient’ documents wrote by an ‘historian’. And usually (I do miss the show sometimes), his quest proves successful. Go watch the show!! If you are lucky, you’ll be a witness to the first official confirmation that a particular species does exist.

And ohhh….by the way, Mark O’Shea is NOTHING like that over-reacting, loud and boring Mr. Crocodile, Mr Steve Irwin (or whatever his name is).

Ok, here’s the reason I am posting this message. In one of the episodes, he uttered something that I will remember maybe, for the rest of my life, and maybe I will pass it on to my future children (and grandchildren?). He said, during the time when Mark was deciding his next course of action after school, his dad once told him “Make sure you really think it through about who you want to be in your life, because the decision affects the rest of your life.” So, basically Mark’s dad gave him a total freedom of what career he wanted to pursue.

I was lucky because my parents once said the same thing. Unfortunately, if only I knew what was the right one for me? I let that opportunity slipped by, because I didn’t know what I wanted to become or which course was the right thing for me. In the end, I took something what the world wanted me to, what the world thought this would be the ‘hot’ career of the future. I took….engineering.

I don’t (fully) regret I chose that course. After all, the degree got me my current job (which still, in a way, involves with engineering). I regard it as part of the process in life, that gets me to where I am today and where I’ll be. And during this process, I learn this lesson, learn that lesson, meet this person, meet that person, know these people, know those people, see these places and see those places.

But I do regret the fact that the world is so materialistic. People judge us on how big our car is, what clothes are we wearing, is our cheque fat enough, is our house grand enough, so on, so forth. Therefore, we always succumb to the pressure of getting that big $ sign, even if it means we are doing something that we feel so miserable of doing.

Why can’t we do something that we really have passion in? Although the pay may not be that great, but we are happy and who knows, maybe that great financial reward will come true after all, and in a very satisfying way. Look at Mark O’Shea as an example; he enjoys what he is doing and gets paid handsomely in the process.

Most likely, I will give the same advice (as Mark’s dad did) to my children (and grandchildren?). It doesn’t matter if they choose an unpopular course in college. As long as it’s not against our religion, our culture and our laws, then they will get my consent. And if no bodies want to sponsor their course, then I will do so myself! (Insha’ Allah).

1 Comments:

At Wednesday, 20 July, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Helloooo...I happen to like Steve Irwin. Though he is loud, he has true passion and respect for the animals he handles. His show is educational both for adults and kids. He truly admires and loves the animals he handles. He is also extremely gentle with them. He is never intrusive, unlike some people. All these qualities are lacking in O Shea,reflecting his main concern with scientific discoveries. Perhaps, he wants to be the first to discover undiscovered species, hence highlighting his name in fame.
As for our materialistic society, it is indeed sickening how people continuously measure our wealth and compare it with their children/husband/family/bla..bla..bla.It is sad that people do not realise what is more important is how rich we are inside. Our devotion to Allah will make us feel rich and contented. Let us all work towards achieving that state of wealth and stop comparing what others are earning and how others are living.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home