... and you are one of them!

Games at Miniclip.com - Penguin Rush Penguin Rush

Race your penguin down the slopes to the finish line!

Play this free game now!!

Friday, May 27, 2005

Wax Da’ Car

I just love horror/scary movies. True, I tend to get scared and always literally jump off my seat and give the person sitting next to me, a shock. But still, I enjoy the feeling of being scared once a while as long as it does not last long after watching the movie. Now, that would be spooky...

One good thing about horror movies is their predictability. Usually, you would know who gets whacked and who survives. So, if a friend tells you which character(s) made it to the end and which one did not before you even see the movie, it won’t really matter that much…

In the House of Wax, a road trip to a college football game takes a turn for the worse for a group of teenagers. There are Carly (Elisha Cuthbert), her twin brother Nick (Chad Michael Murray), her boyfriend Wade (Jared Padalecki), her best friend Paige (Paris Hilton) and two other dudes. They encounter a deserted town, run by these two murderous brothers who, after killing their victims (or not), would coat them with wax and having them on display.

In this movie, the gore factor is there, and I mean, really gore…surprisingly our censorship board gave it a go(re)! The story is also there; it’s not just some mindless movies showing some chicks running foolishly and helplessly with her stalker walking so slowly from behind and yet still able to catch her.

One of the best scenes is when Paris Hilton says ‘bye! bye!’ No matter how scared you are while watching this movie, don’t cover your eyes or cower behind you friend’s shoulder. Make sure your eyes are wide open. Just watch how she dies, people! …By the way, Elisha Cuthbert from the TV series ‘24’ looked so much like Kirsten Dunst in this one (well, that’s my opinion).

Anyhow, the movie does raise a few questions;

1) The movie implies that, not all victims are already dead before they get waxed (some of them is rendered helpless during the whole waxing process). But how come they can’t break free from the wax afterwards? It’s not like you are frozen in ice or something…but still, maybe you can’t really break free, huh?

2) Those wax-coated corpses, won’t they rot? I mean, they are long dead anyway. I don’t think wax can act as a preservative on dead bodies, or can they? I wonder, did the ancient Egypt people use wax as one of the ingredients in the mummifying process?


Now, the second movie Madagascar – the story revolves around four resident animals of the Central Park Zoo in New York; Gloria the hippo, Alex the lion, Melman the giraffe and Marty the zebra. Made by the same team behind Shark Tale and Shrek (1 and 2), Madagascar is definitely better than the former but somehow, it lacks the ‘ooommpphh’ factor to be on a par with the latter.

Most of the punch lines are between the two pals, Marty and Alex. The visuals are amazing although nowadays, these things are easily made possible. Some of my favourite scenes include; the time when Marty is surfing with the dolphins, how Alex desperately needs to fight his cravings for steaks and the ‘spit the sea water’ acts (now that’s creative!).

However, I think Madagascar is too short (less than one and a half hour). Probably the creators could not or failed to widen the scope of the storyline. But that’s better, compared to dragging the whole story to the extent where audience find it absurd. But still, not a good deal to go for a DVD on this one if you ask me, regardless of how great the special features will be. It’s too short!

3 Comments:

At Friday, 03 June, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to agree. It is a bit too short. Nonetheless, I was entertained by my favourite character of all time - Melman. Not worth going for the DVD but worth seeing, I think.

 
At Monday, 13 June, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Two thumbs up for The Interpreter. As always, my heart goes out to Nicole Kidman and my luv goes out to Sean Penn. They are both my favorites. Gawd! is Sean Penn gorgeous or what??! He gets better by the day, I mean the way he acts, his looks, his coolness.

I know this comment doesn't even come close to the movies that you had reviewed. In fact, it had got nothing to do with the reviews - it's entirely out of the topic but what the heck. I just luv The Interpreter and I just luv Nic and Sean. Wanna talk about good acting and good looking? You got them both in that movie from both actors and to top it off, a good movie with a good script. It's worth spending ten bucks, you know what I'm sayin'?

-your sister-

 
At Sunday, 04 December, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Abdun N.A.,

I am thinking of starting a car detailing business. I really have been searching the Internet looking for information on zymol car wax. That is how I found your blog. I just wanted to thank you for the info.
--Natan

 

Post a Comment

<< Home