... and you are one of them!

Games at Miniclip.com - Penguin Rush Penguin Rush

Race your penguin down the slopes to the finish line!

Play this free game now!!

Friday, October 07, 2005

Simultaneous release eh? (as published in CinemaOnline mag)

Cinema Online is a magazine dedicated to all things movies in Malaysia. Mainly, it covers stories behind Hollywood movies that are being screened here. Apart from that, due to the fact that Malaysia has diverse races and cultures which leads to different interests and tastes in movies; the magazine also covers Malay movies and movies from Hong Kong, India, Japan, Korea etc. etc.

In the September issue of the magazine, the editor revealed that Hollywood was planning to release new movies simultaneously over the cinemas, in DVD's and via paid TV's. The last two options would cost a lot more than paying for your cinema tickets. However, the price for DVD's would drop down after some time (just as what happens currently). One of the stated reasons for resorting to this method, was to combat piracy (or perhaps it would only encourage it?).

The editor asked for readers' opinion on whether or not, should this plan goes ahead, the cinema industry would be jeopardised by the move. As a regular contributor to their reader's page, I was more than deligted to share my views. In the letter, I, pretending to be an alien, gave my facts as to why earthlings need not worry about the future of their cinemas.

Here's the letter as published in the October issue of the magazine (go check it out! or better still, buy a copy of the mag over the newsstands):

Greetings earthlings,

in my opinion, simultaneous release of new movies will not kill off the cinema industry. This is because people would still go to the cinemas for that awesome cinema experience. I mean, lets face it! How many of you earthlings, can actually afford buying a 60-inch screen with super surround speakers and when I say 'afford', I mean without owing to the bank.

Even if you can afford such a home cinema system, there is the question of space. Not many of you live in a huge mansion on top of a hill, where you don't have to worry about disturbing your neighbours whenever you blast that volume (but you might disturb the hill's earth structure. Come on earthlings, no more environmental destruction, will ya?).

On a personal note, I enjoy watching every other movies at the cinema with you earthlings. But when it comes to DVD collections, I am more selective. So if I find the movie is not that great and viewing once is enough, I won't go for the DVD when it's released. I don't want to own so many, where most of them will only collect dusts.

After all, my space ship may not have enough space for me to bring back my DVD's to my home planet, or else I will have to make many return trips.

Peace to fellow earthlings! :))

Abdun Alien - KL

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home